Thursday, December 31, 2009

Another Curious Bystander in the Pursuit of God

Hi all,


Just wanted to share an experience I had just a few days after BPNYC09...


Tuesday 15th of December 2009, approx. 4:15pm (Perth time).


I was waiting alone at the Perth airport; those who'd brought me to the airport had just left, & I was soon to board my plane back to Adelaide. I took a seat in front of the gate, and pulled out the book we'd received at camp, 'The Pursuit Of God' from my hand luggage. I flicked through the book, and as I was doing so, I noticed a lady (probably in her late 20's) staring in my direction from her seat. I ignored her, thinking she was probably daydreaming and hadn't realized she was staring at me. I decided then that I'd try to read as much of the book as possible during the 3-hour plane flight back to Adelaide.
I boarded the plane and took my seat, right next to the same lady who'd been staring at me just minutes before. I was soon to find out that this was no coincidence. The plane took off, and again I pulled out my book, and began reading. I was eager to read for the entire 3 hours on the plane, but apparently God had other ideas.
Less than 1 hour into the plane flight, I had reached no further than the end of the first chapter, when the lady next to me turned to me and said "Excuse me, may I please ask what book you're reading?" I explained it was a Christian book, which I'd received from a Christian camp I'd just attended in Perth. Her next question was quite funny: "What language is the word 'Tozer' in?" She had thought that Tozer was a word in a different language, that meant "The Pursuit Of God"! After explaining that Tozer was simply the author, she went on to ask what 'Pursuing God' actually meant. To put it simply, one thing led to another, and the next couple of hours were spent in thoughtful discussion and, for my part, a good opportunity to think carefully about a few of the things I'd learnt at camp.
I remember her saying that she had no strict religious background, meaning that her parents never really cared much for religion and therefore never influenced her to think in favour of, or against, any particular "spiritual teachings" (as she called it). This may be a good thing, because at least she isn't completely opposed to Christianity altogether; however, it also meant that she had been pretty much apathetic when people did try to convert her to different religions, because she didn't think it was that important. She'd only begun thinking about Christianity in the past few months when her Christian friend died of liver cancer, and had been very peaceful when he was suffering the most, even right up until his death. She wanted to understand more about why he had so much peace, when others in his situation would have been more depressed. Hence her curiousity when she had noticed the book that I'd been reading.
Our discussion ended just as we were waiting for our luggage at the carousel in Adelaide. I handed her a tract, "God's Bridge to Eternal Life", with Hope B-P Church's address & contact details on the back, and invited her to our church service on Sundays, and to the Christmas Day service. Sad to say that I have not yet seen her at the past 2 Sunday services, nor at the Christmas Day service, but I am hoping that I will see her again one day. Her name is Suranya. I really thank God for this opportunity to speak to her, even though I felt like my stomach was eating itself in fear that I might answer incorrectly or that I might not know how to answer her questions. Please pray for me, that everything I said was true and pleasing to God. Please pray for Suranya, that God might place in her heart the desire to continue to find out more about Christianity, and to someday accept the Lord God as her Saviour.


Your Sis In Christ,
Corinne

No comments:

Post a Comment