Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hymns that overwhelm you with God's love

There are some hymns that help me to reflect on God's love for me and certain verses of these hymns which I struggle to sing aloud because of the way the words speak to me of God's love. One hymn I was reminded of tonight was Surely Goodness and Mercy which has been sung a few times recently. It was the first verse which I found hard to sing tonight at prayer meeting which goes:


A pilgrim was I and a-wand’ring,
In the cold night of sin I did roam.
When Jesus, the kind Shepherd, found me,
And now I am on my way home.



I found it particularly touching because it reminds me of how unworthy I am to be receiving God's love. Not only did Jesus die for my sins, he has come after me like a loving shepherd even though it was my fault that I am lost. I wanted to share this because it may help you to appreciate this hymn a little more next time you sing it. If you have a hymn or a particular verse that speaks to you, maybe you can share it in the comments below and your reasons why it is so impacting.

No comments:

Post a Comment