Monday, March 22, 2010

Peace in the midst of thunder and lightning

Just like to share a testimony about how God has given me peace today as I was driving home after work in the middle of a thunderstorm. As a child, I was afraid of thunder and lightning and would often cower under my bedsheets whenever there was loud lightning strike. Late this afternoon, a massive thunderstorm accompanied by equally severe hailstorm and rain had hit Perth. I was in my car when the lightning started to happen, and in my mind I was having the same childhood fears of lightning strikes. As the lightning bolts struck various areas in the surrounding suburbs and the loud noise after each strike, I was acutely terrified and wondered if one of those bolts of sheer death and destruction would somehow land on me. For a moment I was quite terrified, but then another thought came to my mind. I thought to myself, why should I be afraid when I'm a Christian? Does not the same God who created heaven and earth also control the winds and waves, and they obey Him? In that thought, I suddenly felt a great sense of calm and quietness in my soul. It was as though I was in the boat with Jesus and His disciples when the storm came and the winds and waves tossed the vessel violently, yet unlike the disciples I was not afraid; not because I was brave or courageous, but because I remembered something that Dr Jim Berg said about God at one of the brother's fellowship meetings not long ago. He said that God's greatness commands our utmost respect and humility towards Him, but at the same time His goodness and love motivates us to hope and trust in Him. So, with those thoughts, I could rest peacefully and drive as though it was a clear and sunny day. Even though the thunderstorm got worse and worse as I drove, yet the loudness and the bright flashes of lightning strikes no longer gripped me in terror. I trusted that the God whom I believed in for my salvation loves me, and that since all of creation was at His command, I could rest in Him and not be afraid. On the way, I listened to hymns and I was praising God in the midst of the storm. It was quite a turnabout of what I was experiencing earlier, from the fear and dread of being struck by lightning, to peace and calm knowing that if Jesus was with me, then I am safe. I'm sharing this not because I want to boast about anything in and of myself, but to recount and testify of how a man who was afraid of lightning could be at peace in the midst of a raging storm. All because of a simple and childlike faith in the true and living God, may all praise and glory be to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment